We often need self-care the most when we have the least amount of time to devote to it. This is particularly true as the holidays approach. As nature begins to wind down towards winter--a fallow period of necessary rest before the renewal of spring--we are headed into our biggest, brightest, and most demanding social season of the year. As mammals, our instinct (rightfully so!) is to curl up, hunker down, reflect on the year that's passed, and prepare for the new year ahead. But last weeks of the year will demand increased social commitments, shopping, cooking, and all of this busyness often turn this celebratory time of year into a time of depletion and stress.
But even when we feel most pressed for time, we can add simple and quick self-care practices to our days, which can help keep us grounded, and help us flow through the season with more ease. Because true self-care--the kind that fills your cup, and leaves you nourished and ready to attend to the daily necessities of your life--doesn’t rely on how much time or money you spend, but on the quality of the self-care gestures that you integrate into your life. True self-care means being deeply attuned to your own needs, moment to moment, and trusting the wisdom of your body to respond to those needs, so that you feel resourced and replenished--not depleted.
I created Calm & Bright to give you inspiration and support for a grounded holiday season. I am including my favorite self-care tools--simple, free (or almost free), and effective. These are the tools that I personally turn to daily, or when I need a little self-care boost. These are the tools that I most often offer to my yoga therapy clients. This is the stuff that works.
For every week between Thanksgiving and New Year's, you will receive an email from me, including: a gentle video pep talk on how and why to include self-care in your day; a short recorded meditation to help you drop into presence and reclaim the peace that is your essential nature; a quick but effective self-care practice that you can easily integrate into the flow of your day. For those who want to participate, there will be a Facebook group for additional inspiration, gentle prompting, Q&A chats with me, and community support. I will also be hosting an Instagram challenge--with some incredible prizes--see below!--every week of the program, with a bigger drawing at the end. The Facebook group and Instagram challenge are entirely optional.
- Five weeks of support & inspiration landing weekly in your inbox.
- Each email contains: a short self-care pep talk in video form; a recorded meditation; a suggested self-care practice.
- Everything will be under 5 minutes long: the video love letter, the recorded meditation, the self-care gesture. The self-care practices will require very little or no money investment. (I may recommend you buy a bottle of massage oil. That's as pricy as it's likely to get--and coconut oil you already have at home is just fine.) This is not a big time commitment. This is an invitation to shift your awareness to your inner state, to listen to your native wisdom, and to respond to your body's needs.
- Access to a free Facebook group for community support and encouragement, and where I will respond to questions.
- The opportunity to take part in an Instagram challenge and win some fabulous prizes to support your self-care journey (you could win a FREE MASSAGE, PEOPLE!)
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
You have full permission to participate as much or as little as you'd like. You can take part in the Instagram challenge or not. You can participate in the Facebook group or not. Even if you only practice one of the meditations just once, or try one of the self-care suggestions just once, I would count that as a win. This isn't one more thing to add to your to-do list. This isn't one more thing to feel bad about not doing. These are tools and support offered freely. Try them if and when they resonate. Do them all, or just a few, or save all of this info for later. There's no wrong way to be in this. I am grateful for and appreciate your simple willingness to be present and to try something new.
You can join the program at any time before December 31st, and will have access to all the previous weeks' emails and content.
No previous yoga experience necessary; this is designed for everyone, regardless of experience or level of ability.
For each of the 5 weeks, there will be an Instagram challenge for us to share our self-care moments--both the wins and the fails--and inspire and support each other. Each week there will be a drawing of prizes for participants, and a bigger drawing including everyone at the end of the program. Prizes will include:
- DoTERRA oil gift set from Kristina Wagner Moore of Moore Oils
- Palo Santo spray from Jessica Cross of Everyday Ritual Co
- Handmade essential oil blends from Adrienne Erreca of Oil Sage
- Massage and yoga therapy sessions from Kelly M. Marshall of Spectrum Yoga Therapy + Massage
- Career Zen book from Lynn Chang
- Mala from Alyson Simms of Atma's Offerings
- A reiki session from Dana Hudec of Inner Light Reiki
- Yoga therapy session with yours truly :)
- A free spot in my Sacred Self-Care Circle, a 6-month online program that starts January 16th